Location: Ahmednagar, Maharashtra
Trek duration: 2 days and 1 night
Trek time: 5 hours
Trek trail: 2 kilometres
Base camp: Samrad village
Difficulty level: Moderate to high
- Witness nature at its best.
- Encounter the most beautiful sunset and sunrise from the konkan kada point.
- The phenomenal ‘reverse waterfall’ will make you awestruck.
- The beautiful view of Ratangad, Kalsubai peak, Alang and Ajoba peaks.
- Experience the thrill of one of the rarest adventures- Rappelling.
- Camping amidst the surreal beauty of nature under the glazing sky.
How to reach?
If you’re opting for the road way then the place has good connectivity to Mumbai. One can easily reach the base Village, Samrad village from Mumbai, via Igatpuri by their personal conveyance.
The nearest railway station is Kasara which is about 80 kilometres from the initial point of the trek, Samrad village. One can reach Kasara by boarding a local and further need to reach the base village either by Jeep or taxis.
About the trek
Also known as “the Great Canyon”, the Sandhan Valley is a combination of a valley and a canyon. Located in the Sahyadri Ranges or Western ghats, this place is often named as the Valley of shadows. This is definitely one of the wonders of nature, the beautifully carved valleys and the amazing view is so exquisite.
The trek is good for both day and night camping however it is suggested to enjoy both by camping in Sandhan village or Samrad village for a night. Overnight camping at George is also a great option with surreal views all around. Considering the geographical area of the place, there are no lodges of hotels available during this trek. Homeover some local home stays might be available at Samrad.
Carved by huge marble rocks for 2 km, this place is surrounded by mountains like Ratangad and the Alang. The Ratangad is the highest peak of Western ghats and on the other hand, Alang is said to be one of the most difficult treks of Western ghats giving this place a thrill like no other. The trek goes 200ft deep in the stunningly carved valley with water gushing in the narrow space.
This very unusual trek includes descending first and then climbing up. One has to rappel down about 100ft down the rocky path. This is something that needs expert guidance and will fill you with much thrill and adventure.
In addition to it, the reverse waterfall is also one of the major attractions of the trek. Feeling the watery mist all around watching the water going both ways, this unmatched beauty of the moment will make your adrenaline gush. Standing by the safety fence, and watching the water coming up from the sparkling mist and drenching you will be a moment you won’t forget in life.
The most favorable time to get on this trek is during monsoon. Though the path might be a bit more slippery, the thrill, adventure and beauty the monsoon can add to this place is not even comparable. All the waterfalls come to life during monsoon or post monsoon. People visiting the place during this time get to witness the best of it.
If you’re a truly adventurous person at heart and have an eternal love for natural wonders then this place will definitely make your heart skip a beat out of happiness. You’ll surely bring back a lot of memories with utmost satisfaction.
Important things to carry
- Carry extra clothes and waterproof clothes are most preferred.
- Some are ready to eat snacks and munchies.
- Carry an extra pair of socks.
- Some common medicines, basic first aid kit and pain reliving sprays.
- To capture this tranquil beauty of this place carry a camera or mobile camera.
- Get along your best sports shoes with high grip and slip resistant to enjoy every descent and steep of the path.
- The trek is not advised for children below the age of 13.
- Trekking here without an expert guide is highly not recommended, specially for the people doing it for the first time.
- If you’re not much active physically then this might be a bit challenging for you.
- Carry waterproof clothes and sports shoes with really good grip.
- Following instructions of the guide is very very important as the trek needs expertise all the way
- Sticking by the guidelines and not over crossing them is something to be kept in mind throughout.
- One has to rappel down thrice during this trek. These spots might be overwhelming but keeping a control on yourself is must.